The Aleutian Pribilof Island Community Development Association (APICDA), a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, is seeking an experienced financial Controller. The Controller is a full-time, benefited position, responsible for issues related to the overall proper execution finances for the organization. The Controller is expected to work independently and report directly and under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer. The Controller is responsible for insuring all issues concerning the finances of the organization(s) are properly executed. The Controller is the primary signatory on all accounts and has oversight of the accounting department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides financial recommendations to the Chief Executive Officer and in the CEO’s absence, the appropriate management team.
- Prepares and distributes standard financial reports for the Board of Directors of APICDA, and AJV and its subsidiary investments.
- Compiles and prepares annual budgets for all companies.
- Monitors to insures compliance with the appropriate, approved budgets.
- Provides management with the necessary specialized reports so that appropriate decisions may be made on reasonable financial data and forecasts.
- Acts as Plan Administrator for the corporate 401K plan including resolving questions of participants and preparation of ERISA compliance reports.
- Supervises the Payroll Specialist, ensuring all employees are paid correctly and on-time.
- Supervises the Accounting Lead, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of account payables and receivables.
- Provides and monitors all required financial reports associated with grants.
- Attends all board and executive committee meetings for all companies.
- Monitors to insure the accurate and timely process and payment of all invoices.
- Monitors for proper coding of all invoices received, by appropriate company and expense category.
- Monitors to insure all vendor discounts offered are taken.
- Monitors the interaction of accounting staff with vendors in resolving billing and payment variances, and disputes.
- Monitors to insure compliance with all Federal Tax and Financial Reporting requirements.
- Prepares and submits all tax reports, fee assessments, and associated payments (940 reports, 941 reports, State Unemployment Insurance, Payroll Tax deposits, Crab Buy Back and Cost Recovery Fees, Fed Tax Deposits, State Fish Taxes, ASME Tax, Municipal Fish Taxes, Bed Taxes, Municipal Landing Taxes).
- Produces all tax forms for employees and crew members of company vessels, and skippers of vessels delivering to company facilities.
- Accurately tracks all individual crew expenditures on company vessels.
- Provides financial details on employment numbers for state reports on all
- payments made by corporate entities to individuals.
- Maintains the inventory records on resale items.
- Resolves financial and accounting issues for the various operational entities.
- Monitors the maintenance of property records for capitalized property.
- Monitors the tracking and accounting for all fish inventories once they have been shipped from processing points.
- Insures proper preparation of promissory notes, monthly computation of interest and statement issuance.
- Insures proper calculation of per diem allowances and payments for all persons traveling on corporate business.
- Acts as point of contact with governmental agencies on grants, reports and tax issues.
- Interacts with outside accountants and auditors on corporate records.
- Communicate effectively at a distance with supervisor, staff, vendors, vessel operators and village residents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience: Minimum of eight (8) years of accounting or business administration, or related field experience. Equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation may be substituted. Prior experience in fishing industry, native organizations, and/or corporate level experience is preferred.
Benefits: APICDA offers a full-suite benefits plan that includes healthcare, dental, vision, life and supplemental options, 11 paid holidays and PTO accrual. Opportunities for participation in company HSA and 401(K), including a generous employer match.
Location: Juneau, AK
APICDA is an EEO employer.