False Pass is an early English name for Isanotski Strait on which the City of False Pass is located. There is some evidence that Unangan people used the area seasonally. The strait was called “False Pass” by early American sailing ship captains because it was thought to be impassable.
The False Pass area was settled by a homesteader in the early 1900s and grew with the establishment of a cannery in 1917. A post office and school were established in 1921. The cannery operated continuously, except from 1973 to 1976, when two hard winters depleted the fish resources. It was destroyed by fire in March 1981 and was not rebuilt.
The city of False Pass was incorporated in 1990 and has about 30 residents. The Isanotski Corporation (originally known as the False Pass Corporation) is the ANCSA village corporation for the community and the major landholder in the area. The False Pass Tribal Council is the federally recognized tribe, with responsibility for the health and welfare needs of the community.